Monday, April 27, 2009

Blueberry Bars

It is not really blueberry season here in Michigan yet.
However, tonight I was talking with friends about how fun it was when we all went blueberry picking with our kids last August.
I remembered that I had made these delicious bars from the fresh blueberries that we picked.
So I went back into my 'blog files' and decided to share this recipe.
It is a great snack, or you can also serve it with Vanilla ice cream or Whipped cream for a really good dessert.


Blueberry Bars

-3 cups of blueberries
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/3 cup water
-2 Tablespoons cornstarch
-dash of salt
**Cook together all the above in a saucepan until bubbly and thick. Then set aside to cool.
-2 cups flour
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-2 cups quick oatmeal
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 cup of butter or shortening

**Mix all the dry ingredients then cut in shortening with a fork or pastry cutter.
**Pack 1/2 of mixture into a greased 13 by 9 pan. Spread berry mixture, and then top with remaining flour mixture. I then shake a little bit of cinnamon and sugar on top.
**bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

No comments: