Thursday, September 3, 2009

Garden Vegetable Soup with Grilled Chicken

One of my all-time FAVORITE soups!
This is a very healthy recipe. I found it in a Prevention magazine a few years ago, and make it often.
My little boys love the noodles in the soup, and end up eating the healthy vegies that are also in it.
If I am grilling chicken (on the stove-top) I make sure to grill an extra two. That way when I go to make this soup the next night, it takes one step out of the process.
If I have any Parmessan cheese on hand I will sprinkle a little bit on top of the soup before I serve it.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.


Garden Vegetable Soup with Grilled Chicken

about 4 servings

-2-3 cups of vegetable or multicolored rotini pasta
-1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
-3/4 cup of chopped red onion
-2 gloves minced garlic
-1 tsp chopped fresh oregano OR 1/4 tsp dried oregano
-4 -5 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
-1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
-1/2 cup chopped carrots (I use baby carrots)
-2 chicken breasts grilled, chopped
-1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

1. Prepare pasta per package directions.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium, add oil then onion, garlic, and oregano. Cook, stirring often, until onions and garlic are tender, about 7 minutes.

3. Add broth, and bring mixture to a boil.

4. Add tomatoes and carrots. Lower heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.

5. Stir in chicken and pasta. Simmer to heat chicken through, about 2 minutes. Stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

Enjoy!

No comments: