Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Honey Chicken Stir-Fry

This is a perfect weeknight dish!
Quick, healthy, and very tasty.
To make it even quicker you can pre-cut the chicken and use frozen vegies.
My kids really like this dinner and that is a pretty great thing, my kids are not wild about dinners with vegies involved.
The honey makes this stir-fry have a touch of sweetness. The crushed red pepper is totally optional, it adds just a little something to it and does not make it spicy at all.
These flavors all combined and placed on top of steamed rice,
make one delicious stir-fry!


Honey Chicken Stir-Fry

What you need:
  • 1 pound or 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
Sauce:
  • 5 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/8 teaspoon of crushed red- pepper (optional)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Vegies:
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cups cup up broccoli
  • 2 carrots sliced
  • 2 stalks of celery sliced
  • 1/2 cup red pepper chopped (optional)
OR you can use,
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli stir-fry vegetable blend
Finishing:
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon cold water
  • Hot cooked rice

How to Make:

  1. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken and garlic in 2 teaspoons oil cook until done.
  2. Add the honey, soy sauce, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for about 5 more minutes. Remove from pan.
  3. In the same pan, stir-fry the vegetables in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes or until heated through and barley crisp. Return chicken to the pan; mix well. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve over rice.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

A Conscious Mind said...

OMG. This chicken is AMAZING. I just cooked it for my boyfriend who is visiting me from out of state and I barely want to even save any for him. It is so good! I actually seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper and let it sit before I started cooking because I hate meat that isn't fully seasoned before. And when I put the food in the wok, I just seasoned by hand instead of 1/8th of a tsp. And I didn't use corn starch because I didn't have any so I just used self-rising flour. But man, this chicken is so good and sweet and a tad spicy. This really is an excellent recipe and I can't believe its a little healthy too. Great recipe! Thanks!

Jessica said...

Intreguing Lady,
I am so glad that you enjoyed this Stir-fry. That is a great idea to season the chicken before cooking. Hopefully your boyfriend enjoyed the meal too. :-)

Jessica

Kristi said...

We just had this for our Christmas dinner and it was a huge hit! Love your recipes.